1. Basil has been known to help stabilize blood sugar levels.
2. Basil has an overall calming effect on the body and the mind.
3. Basil contains compounds called flavonoids. The particular flavonoids found in basil are known to help defend the cells against damage from radiation.
4. The volatile oils found in basil have know antibacterial properties – helping to defend your body against pathogens.
5. Basil helps to fight and reduce inflammation in the body.
6. Basil contains Beta-carotene which helps to protect your artery walls from free radical damage.
7. Basil contains magnesium, which is important for helping muscles and blood vessels relax, which is very important for blood pressure health.
8. Basil is a good source of iron, which can help to prevent anaemia. Quick tip, if you eat iron-rich foods like basil with a vitamin C source like oranges or bell peppers, you increase your bodies ability to absorb the iron.
9. Basil can be used in the treatment of cramps, bloating and indigestion because it is soothing and cleansing for the digestive tract.
10. Basil is high in vitamin C, making it excellent for the immune system. It is especially good for the treatment of colds and flu’s.